Sunday, April 22, 2012

Mt. Sanitas

I missed the last day of skiing at Winter Park yesterday in order to save time for lesson planning. I spent about four hours planning and ended up with the afternoon free at around 1:00 PM. It was too late to head up for the Spring Splash, so I decided to attempt a road bike ascent of Flagstaff Road. Needless to say, with my steel 1960's Schwinn Roadster, I was thwarted in my attempt after about halfway. For a first ascent, I was pleased with the result but I know I'll be back in a week or two for a second attempt. Bring it on.

After a recuperating downhill, I sauntered over to Mt. Sanitas for a shorter hike. Its a three-mile round trip hike that tops out around 6860 ft / 2092 m. This is the same trail that I wrecked myself on last summer while training to run up Green Mountain. Thankfully, the trip was pleasantly uneventful. The ponderosa pines were rustling in the breeze and the sandstone was warm all the way up the ridge.

Here are some summit views:
Flagstaff, Green and the rest of the Boulder Group.

Boulder Valley

And there was still time left for reading in the hammock by Boulder Creek on the way home!

No comments:

Post a Comment