Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Gregory Canyon Run

Boulder Open Space and Mountain Parks may as well be a sibling of mine - the entire area resides near and dear to my heart. The only other place that sends me more good vibrations is Ute Valley Park in Colorado Springs (the city does have one or two good things going for it). In particular, area of the mountain parks accessible from the Gregory Canyon Trailhead jives with me the most.

After a CPR/First Aid class this morning, I got the afternoon off. Its been awhile since I've gotten into the mountains for any sensible kind of activity, so I jumped on the opportunity to get a trail run in. At first, my plan was to access the Saddle Rock Trail from Gregory Canyon TH. This would have followed the route I took when I ran up Green Mountain to raise money for KIPP Colorado classrooms last summer. Instead, I did not veer left up Green but continued straight up the canyon with the intention of topping out at Realization Point on Flagstaff Mountain.

The south face of Flagstaff Mountain, seen from the top of the Green Mountain amphitheater last year. 
I saw probably six different kinds of butterflies and the wildflowers were out in force at the top of the canyon. One of my summer goals is to run up Green again, and possibly over to Bear Peak / South Boulder Peak. However, I'll probably have to come back to flagstaff to test myself again before I try this.

Approximate Distance: 2.5 Miles
Approximate Elevation Gain: 1000 feet

No comments:

Post a Comment